Monday, April 30, 2012

The Book is Dee-oh-en-eee DONE!

OK, so writing a book isn't so easy. I had great plans to cover lots of material that never made it into the book. My charter was to cover all the USAF and VNAF A-1 units that flew the Spad during the Vietnam War. That covers a 15 years and seven units for the VNAF and 9 years and five units for the USAF. So I could not get into any great depth with the 'word budget' of 35,000 words I was allowed. In my mind, much was left unsaid, but that's life. When I do my website refresh, I will do my best to bring some of the things that weren't covered in the book into the website.

But it does have 80 images, many of which are previously unpublished. I feel good about that. There are also 30 color profiles done by artist Jim Laurier who did a great job interpreting what I wanted each one to look like.

Many of these new images will also appear when I do a 'tech refresh' on skyraider.org. That will take some time, and volunteers to assist would be more than welcome.  I will also split off my A-1 Combat Journal website to give it more prominence.

The book is scheduled for an early 2013 release, so watch for it. Once again, the title will be,  USAF and VNAF A-1 Skyraider Units of the Vietnam War.

Thanks for reading, SpadGuy

14 comments:

  1. Not sure if this is the place to post the info below, but maybe you can get it to the right place:

    http://kaaltv.com/article/stories/S2650080.shtml?cat=10151

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Late reader for my uncle who flew most missions. Tried web address and wouldn't come up. Dont even know if you're still around.

      Delete
  2. Looks like the book is now available for pre-order: http://amzn.com/1780960689

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to make two question regarding the A1:

    1.- Please compare the A1 Skyraider with the A37 Dragonfly; have you had any experiences with the A37?

    2.- Which where the A1 handling characteristics, how did it behave in different flight attitudes, speeds, loads and altitude. I fear it was too heavy, am I right?

    Maybe you know also about other attack aircraft. Can you comment on the flight properties of a SBD Dauntles?

    Thank you very much in advance for your answers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just curious If you knew my grandfather, Maj. Thomas Coy Hipps. I was looking at old A-1 photos to see if I could find him in any and came across your blog. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi My name is Federico Pechar. Iam from Argentina. My father ( Juan Maria Pechar) is sitting next to me right know and he flew A1 the whole 1965-66 like landing signal officer in the VA 122 Squadron. My father was an Argentine Navy pilot. He wants to make and keep contact with A1 veterans. Is there any official assosiation? Any help will be welcomed. My email address is fpechar@argentina-travellers.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need your help as seen in the ZM Skyraider behind the fuel tank there are some electronics and radios how were they accessed ?
    What panel was opened to maintain them. any reference photos needed
    the AD7 had no doors on the side of the fuselage

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huk, just read your book. Great job. Lots of memories in it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was part of a Rescue (Crown) crew out of Udorn and later over on the coast from '66-'68. The commander of the A1 outfit at Udorn was shot down and lost on one of our first missions (Maj. Robinson) I am a fine art painter and am trying to piece together info like markings, color schemes etc. to make a painting of this mission. I'm too old to remember the details and never took many pictures at the time. I'd be happy to buy your book but would like to know if this sort of info is included that far back before I spend the money? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never mind. I bought the book. Should be here soon. Thanks anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just stumbled on to your site. Interesting. What a great old airplane. I first set in the AD5N flight trainer when I was in the 7th grade. My dad was the keeper of the trainer, which consisted of two semi trailers. One loaded with electronics, vacuum tubes, etc. The other held the trainer. Just a cockpit with instruments that worked. After two years of flying, when there were no students flying, my brother and I got pretty good at flying. Including IFR, emergency procedures, etc. Great fun for a kid. My time in the Navy, I flew right seat for a while in the EA-1A. I was also the power plants division officer where we worked on the R3350 engines for the ADs. Great plane! Felt like real flying. Good luck on your future projects.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very happy to see such a great plane get the attention it deserves.

    Hat tip from Ed Heinemann's granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking for the final destination for A1E 32686

      Delete
  12. Anyone out there ever know or heard of a pilot Gene McGinnis?

    ReplyDelete